To be certified as a CDI Birth Doula you need to pass an open book certification examination that is based on the materials covered in your training/retreat. All certification candidates must be over the age of 18 and must be physically able to perform the hands-on comfort measures demonstrated in the training.
Read the books from the required reading list and write a review for each:
- HypnoBirthing - The Mongan Method author: Marie Mongan
- Squaring the Circle: Normal Birth Research, Theory and Practice in a Technological Age authors: Soo Downe and Sheena Byrom
- The Doula’s Guide to Empowering your Birth author: Lindsay Bliss
- Cut It Out: The C-Section Epidemic in America author: Theresa Morris
- Battling Over Birth: Black Women and the Maternal Health Care Crisis
authors: Julia Chinyere Oparah , Helen Arega, Dantia Hudson, Linda Jones,Talita Oseguera
- Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple A Pocket Guide for Helping Mothers
author: Nancy Mohrbacher
Complete a blood borne pathogens course.
Obtain CPR certification
Attend the training!
Pass open book examination
Observe 2 births
Write summaries for each birth including what you learned, what you would do differently and how the experience influenced your work as a doula.